Cheers! (and fears…)

Please excuse my unplanned hiatus, readers, but this normally precocious pup has been temporarily sidelined by the aftermath of our recent attack.  My natural optimism and curiosity has been stymied by the unexpected residual effects of our trauma.

Earlier this week, my staples were removed which has made my healing more tolerable and less itchy.  The added irritation of metal around my wounds was causing me to feel a tad irritable, which is not my usual state of mind, and I am happier now that the foreign metals are gone from my skin.

But, I am still feeling uncharacteristically fearful and timid and am finding comfort hibernating with my family this week.  I am not comfortable yet walking again in my neighborhood, knowing the offending dogs still reside around the corner and feel that I still need further healing to gain my confidence.

I spent time with my smaller canine family members during the holidays and they were respectful of my precarious state of mind and body, taking care not to engage me in rowdy puppy-play.  Thankfully, I was able to fully enjoy the festivities and participate in the gift-opening, my favorite part of Christmas, without further injury.

Opening presents!

Even as a puppy, I always fully understood the meaning of presents and the thrill that every child experiences tearing into a wrapped gift, and this Christmas was no different.  I plunged into the first gift bag I spied with my name on the tag.  My body was fully engulfed by the giant wrapping-bag and I emerged with a new baby and a chew toy.  Brilliant!

I had many gifts to open and I fully appreciated and enjoyed all of my presents.  The younger pups in my family were not as keyed into this game, so I enthusiastically assisted them.  It has been a week since Christmas and, to my knowledge, the youngsters still haven’t realized that I absconded with all of their chew toys.  (Yes, a sneaky move by this holiday veteran, but it can remain our secret.)

I'm taking All of the stockings...

I sincerely hope you have all been glowing with holiday cheer this season.  I may have been illuminating a little less brightly than usual, but I was still able to bask in the surprises, happiness, presents, food and merriment of the holidays.

Cheers and paws up to the new year!

Comments

1. Oh so very good to have you back Atticus and sounding so much more like you. Have a very Happy New Year (and Mamma and Wilbur too) my friend.
    Love Louise, Ozzie and Roxy
    Louise Edington
    Facing Fears and Frontiers For Freedom

You too, Lou!! We SO appreciate your friendship!! :)

3. Lynn U. says:

Hope the new year goes better for you, and that you all continue to recover. Glad you enjoyed your Christmas. I got the best present ever, even though it was a few days before Christmas and didn’t have any wrapping. Yep, a totally awesome puppy who isn’t scared of me in the least and leaps and bites and jumps at me — so much fun! She likes to get up on the couch and attack me from there, which puts her right about my height. And best of all, unlike the kitties, no one tells me not to play with her (unless I lie down on top of her, or get carried away barking). Hope you will be up to playing with your pals again one day soon.
    Love,
    Taz
    Lynn U. recently posted..More Dancing!

4. velma stahl says:

So happy you are back Atticus, I really missed your blog. Can’t wait tell you are your old self. Hope to see you soon. Love, Cousin Velma and Hannah.

5. Glad to see you and your mama back. Continued prayers and support and may you all have a very happy new year!

Taz, you got your very own puppy for Christmas?!?!? That’s the Best gift ever!! Be patient.. those little ones can be mouthy. Can’t wait to see pictures!! (maybe your mama has them up on fb — I’ll take a look).
    Happy days to you Taz and your new baby! What’s her name??

Thanks Velma & Hannah… I’ll be back to my old self shortly :)

8. Dear Atticus, all I can say is thank goodness for Christmas and all those gifts. Being spoiled and sneakily getting away with all the spoils is the best way to recover from a frightening abnormal happening on what should have been another day as usual in the neighborhood. I have full confidence in you coming back to your normal boisterous self. In the meantime happy chewing, much joy in the new year to you Mama & Wilbur. Goldie sends licks and barks and much tail wagging encouragement!

Jennifer Duchene
    Home Makeover Mixtress
    Jennifer Duchene recently posted..Reflections of 2010

9. Welcome back, Atticus! We missed you! I am not surprised you are still feeling the trauma of your attack, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you struggle with memories for some time in 2011. Please give yourself full permission to go through some phases where you feel you are perhaps sliding backwards; it will all be part of your healing. In the meantime, I’m so glad you were able to enjoy some of the Christmas festivities, especially unwrapping presents (which surely has to be some of the most fun for canines and humans alike–even my cat would agree, and I can’t say she is that eager to share opinions with non-felines).

Happy, happy New Year to you and the family!

Judy Stone-Goldman recently posted..How Beets Make a Year Special- The Final Word on End-of-the-Year Review

Thanks Jen and Goldie! Strangely, I feel no guilt about taking all the pups’ chew toys… I think I need the distraction more than they do right now… entitlement thru injury, I say!
    Happy new year to you, Jen!

Thanks for your kind words, Judy. I think you are right that I can expect some residual effects from this trauma for awhile, but I’m trying to get back to my old self :)

Waggy wishes for a wonderful new year!

12. Fiona Stolze says:

Hi Atticus

I’m glad to hear you’re back on the road to recovery and that you were able to enjoy Christmas despite recent traumatic events.

Looking forward to hearing what you get up to in the months to come. Wishing you and your family a very happy new year. x

Fiona Stolze
    Fiona Stolze recently posted..Finding the Balance Retrospectively – Nothing was Missing in 2010

13. Atticus, I’m so glad you are getting back to your old self. I hope 2011 will be a wonderful year for you, mama and Wilber. Love Grandma

Thank Fiona, I’m definitely on the path to recovery… we’ll see what 2011 brings!

15. Hey There Atticus,
    It’s wonderful to hear that you are mending up and that those itchy staples are removed. I’m sure you may have to fight off the scary memories from time to time but you are a brave pup and hopefully you will learn to trust big dogs again. I know we need the rain, but it sure is putting a halt to my doggy park social life. I miss seeing you. Happy New Year to your mamma and Wilbur too!

We miss you guys too, Karin & Tybalt! The sun’s supposed to come out this week.. maybe the park will open.