Whatever Works

This past weekend was extremely low key, homey and restful because mama somehow acquired the crud on Friday.  You know the crud; stuffy head, stuffy nose, stuffy chest and fuzzy mind.  The sounds coming from my human this weekend were not especially feminine (or human, to this pup’s ears).  Luckily, our friend Laine had posted a blog last week about colds and flu myths, and this helped me care for mama.

Myself, I’ve experienced allergies but never the full blown crud.  Of course I’ve been sickly in the past, but it’s usually my own poor judgment and questionable behavior that makes me ill.  (See “Intervention?” for more insight into some of my illness inspiring insanity.)

Wilbur and I tend to get a bit antsy if we can’t get out for a walk or to the park, but since the crud had turned mama into a feverish snot-dispenser, we acquiesced in favor of lounging beside our guardian all weekend.  I stayed especially close to mama even in bed, which not typical for me.  My usual behavior is to lay on the bed for awhile and then retreat to my cozy dog bed.  But this weekend when mama was in bed, day or night, I remained by her side (attempting to eat her used tissues).

Wilbur and Bella rested with mama too

In between napping we caught up with Top Chef (we love our cooking programs), watched movies and read.  We saw a number of decent flicks, but the one that really tickled me was “Whatever Works”, starring Larry David.

You loyal readers know that I frequently use the phrase “just think like a dog”.  Well, the main character in this movie, Boris (Larry David) has zero ability to think like a dog.  He’s quite the opposite, in fact.  He’s constantly worried and annoyed, fretting and kvetching, nervous and self-absorbed.  But Funny (with a capital “F”)!

“Whatever Works” was written by Woody Allen, and has all the markings of any Allen film, except he is not in it.  If the part of Boris was played by Allen instead of David, this movie would have felt stale.  David and the wonderful supporting cast (Evan Rachel Wood, Patricia Clarkson, Ed Begley) bring a fresh, funny and hopeful face to Allen’s well-worn schtick.

As the film progresses so does it’s protagonist, until his thinking is closer to dog-like than the thoughts of the pessimistic bloke we meet at the beginning of the movie.  All of the characters in “Whatever Works” go through their own metamorphosis of thought and behavior, growing in surprising directions.

“That’s why I can’t say enough times… whatever love you can get and give, whatever happiness you can filch or provide, every temporary measure of grace… whatever works…” ~~ Boris Yellnikoff

You don’t have to be on the couch with the crud to get a chuckle out of this rental.  Have any of you readers seen this film?  Did you like it?

Comments

1. Stewart Meowzer says:

My dearest Atticus, We are so sorry to hear your human Mom has the crud. My human Mom loves that word because it is so simple yet tells a plethora of information. Zorro and I wish her a speedy recovery. Hopefully, she will soon be well enough to make her delicious triple baked, chocolate covered biscotti’s. My Mom still raves above those tasty treats. You might say they are her daily dog bone. Stewart Meowzer >^..^<

Good to hear from you Stewart! This is mama’s yearly “crud”, and it always seems to hit just before the holidays. Your mom probably remembers last year this time (when she picked up her dog bones) that the crud was in our home. Please let her know that mama will be in touch soon regarding the biscuits :)

3. Atticus,

I’m so sorry to hear your mama wasn’t well, but very pleased she’s getting better now, I’m guessing you is as you’ve had a chance to get back to the keyboard……

I’m very impressed with your method of disposing of the used tissues, at least mama didn’t have to get up and take them to the trash, very ingenious :)

Apparently, my mum also recommends Airborne at the first sign of yucky crud, not sure if your mama tries this one or not, but my mum swears by it,

Glad to see your back,
    Your pal Snoopy :)

Thanks for the tip, Snoopy. does airborne work After the crud has arrived? mama’s been taking theraflu and nite-time cold/flu stuff, which help her symptoms (but make her spacey). I was too busy helping mama this weekend to get to the keyboard (and you know what I mean by “helping”)!

See you soon Snoopy! I need to check out your latest posts… headed your way now :)

5. I haven’t seen it – will have to keep my eyes open for it. I certainly hope your mama is feeling much better now – good job taking care of her!!

Sharon Hiebing
    Follow Your Dream Compass

6. velma stahl says:

Oh so sorry to hear your mama has the crud, tell her to call me when she feels better. I will put the movie on top of my list to rent. Zicam works to end the crud quicker. Blessings!

7. Laine D says:

We must be grateful you and Wilbur can’t catch a cold after the care you lavished on your poor sick Momma – staying close to a cranky sick person and offering to dispose of the used tissues is truly above and beyond the call of duty. What I would call dogged devotion.

Glad your Momma is feeling better, make sure she takes lots of zinc, cal/mag and boil washes all of the bedding including pillows to avoid the 10 day reinfection cycle. We have to look after her, she’s special.

Thanks for mentioning me in dispatches :D
    Cold nose kisses
    Laine D.
    Aspire to Inspire

@Velma, Sharon and Laine — thanks much for your kind words and advice! and thanks Laine for the reminder about the bedding – I certainly don’t want this to continue for my poor mum!
    and Laine, I never said my human was cranky… just really low-energy… but still smiling :) (and how could anyone be cranky with this pup??!!)

9. I’m rolling around the floor at the description of your mama as a ‘feverish snot dispenser’. You carry on looking after her and get her all better. Though I think walking you and Wilbur will help clear it out once the worst is over. Have never seen this film – used to love Woody Allen though so I’ll add it to netflix. (feel better Heidi)
    Louise Edington
    Facing Fears and Frontiers Over Fifty

Happy I was able to get a giggle out of you, Louise! I really thought the snot dispenser would be feeling better today, but the crud is still visiting. we just went to the pharmacy to get some more medicine and tea, and the pharmacist said that this crud is lasting up to 2 weeks for some people! what? I’m hoping mama will be healthier much sooner than that.
    Thanks for your kind wishes for mama, Louise. I’ll let her know :)

11. Hope your mama is up and well by now. Atticus, DON’T EAST USED SNOTTY TISSUE!!

I know it’s gross, but pleasing to me :)