Dog School Is Exhausting Work For Puppies!

Little Timmy Elijah Love started puppy class yesterday.  By the amount of paperwork mama had to fill out and the volume of pre-class homework, you’d think the little one was applying to an ivy league school!

Timmy E. ready to start class!

The school mama chose is called The Right Steps and was recommended by a number of chums plus our vets at Blue Ravine Animal Hospital.  The instructor, Cindy, allows only 6 pups per class — you can see this is very exclusive training!

Timmy has only met a few other dogs and mama thought he might be a barker, as he does bark when he sees other dogs.  As they were approaching the classroom, Timmy woofed at the other students but once they entered, he was completely silent.  Good boy!

Folding chairs lined the room and the class was instructed to spread out, giving each pupil a little personal space.

Max, an extremely hyper and vocal toy Australian Shepard, had to stay behind a screen as he was upsetting the other dogs.  Poor Max — he was just really excited to be there.  Next to Timmy sat a Golden Retriever named Bentley, who was so shy he barely came out from under his parent’s chair.

The other puppies in attendance were Sophia, a tiny miniature Dachshund, Rufus the Great-Dane mix and Sejean, a Husky who was the star pupil of the day.

Lessons for the first class were learning to “sit”, “come” and how to play nicely with new friends.  Timmy, like me, excelled at the social part of the class and he was eager (without barking) to meet and sniff his classmates.

Learning is exhausting work and towards the end of class, Timmy E was having a hard time keeping his eyes open.  He slept the entire ride home and even had a late dinner, as he couldn’t wake from his post-class nap.

Post-class nap time!

Mama and Timmy have loads of homework this week.  I’d like to help from my heavenly place, but to be truthful I wasn’t the greatest with my doggie school lessons.  I may even  have been the first canine to claim “the dog ate my homework” in puppy kindergarten!

Have you pups gone through any formal training, obedience or agility training?  I’d like to hear about your experiences.

Sending you peace, wags and heavenly love!

Comments

1. velma stahl says:

I really enjoyed the story of Timmy’s first day at school. Yes, I have a story too. I had a beautiful full bred registered German Shepard named Faith. I enlisted Faith into a two week live in program. She was supposed to return with 20 commands that she would know. Well they called me and said that she was the most stubborn dog they had ever had at their school and she would need an additional week. So she stayed for three weeks and after that they said she would need a shock collar. Wow, I think i was scammed big time.

2. zoie027 says:

Cute dog! Very bright dog because he attends class. First day in school for him is exhausting. Thanks for posting!
    zoie027 recently posted..reclaiming ppi

3. Donna McCord says:

How fun to share in Timmy’s first day of school! I remember the Siberian Husky pup, Nikki, I had when I was married to my first husband oh so many years ago (over 30!)! He was a very independently minded puppie and just wanted to run and play — discipline was not something he enjoyed! Looking back on it, I don’t think we had the right instructor for him…we were told that he was too disruptive to the class and so we took on the training ouselves at home. He was a sweetheart, more interested in receiving affection than instruction! After my divorce, Nikki went to live with my ex and I know that he has been up there in Heaven for a while now…maybe you can look him up, Atti! Please give him my love if you find him!

4. This is such a sweet post! I have never been to doggy school, and most people wouldn’t entertain such a thought for a cat. So it’s all new to me. Reading about those other little pups was like imagining the shy and eager children at my grandson’s preschool. Such a big event for anyone new to school!

I’m not entirely surprise to hear you weren’t an obedience school star, Atticus! That word “obedience” is such a problem… What strong personality wants to be obedient?! But I’m sure you realize that growing up requires us to do all sorts of things that rub us the wrong way, and ultimately we learn that many of them are for our own good.

I’m sure Timmy will prove to be an apt student–but learning sure is tiring business!

Personal-Professional Balance Through Writing
    Judy Stone-Goldman recently posted..What Does It Mean When You Don’t Want to Write?

5. We hired a trainer who gave us 4 independent sessions at the house to train both us and Ginger. Then we had a series of group lessons. The trainer told us that Ginger was very eager to please. When the trainer told me that she was going to throw treats at Ginger and Ginger will not eat them, I scoffed at her. Ginger loved loved loved treats! Well, Ginger moved her butt once to get a treat. She was corrected and from them on, she stayed put until given the all clear signal at which point, she scarfed up every treat around her!. I was stunned. However my husband was lousy at following the directions and always blamed Ginger when she didn’t listen. Used to irritate the snot out of me!

Julieanne Case
    Always from the heart!

Reconnecting you to your Original Blueprint, Your Essence, Your Joy| Healing you from the Inside Out |Reconnective Healing | The Reconnection| Reconnective Art |

Julieanne Case recently posted..Summer Vacation or Future Preview?

6. Lynn U. says:

As you know, Piper and I are obedience/agility/dog dancing stars. I think most people underestimate all that we dogs can learn — and how much fun it is for people and dogs to learn together! All training is about people and dogs learning how to communicate with each other, and we are so happy that our mama loves to communicate with us. Especially when the communication involves lots of cookies to tell us that we are right!
    – Taz
    Lynn U. recently posted..More Dancing!

7. Patty Hughes says:

Timmy, you are so adorable! You get your good looks from your mom’s side.
    Love,
    Patty & Co. xo

8. This one cracked me up! Having taught basic obedience for years, I recognized every dog in Timmy’s class. What a great mix! Practice and patience are the key. Unless Timmy is going to do tv or film, all he has to do is learn the basics and learn to listen. Keep us informed on his progress, ok Atticus?

Love,

Bill
    William Austin Howe recently posted..My way of thinking/ Barbara Howe

9. bccmee says:

Wow I’d be tuckered out after all that work too! Good luck on all your homework assignments.
    bccmee recently posted..Counting down to FanstRAvanganza!

10. Trish says:

Oh my goodness, he was pooped! Timmy E. sounds like such a delight and such a sweetie. I love how he was “all bark” before getting into the class and then he was quiet as a mouse. Must have been taking in the setting and assessing the situation. :-) I hope to read about the next class to see how he does.

Trish
    caregiving. family. advocacy.
    Trish recently posted..Caregiving Heroes

11. Oh man, I’m not in school anymore, and so glad to say it, but I’m sure puppy school is pretty fun after you get passed all the new rules and training. It only serves to make puppy life better. Best of luck to Timmy!
    Dennis Salvatier recently posted..Creatives: Don’t Lose The Kid

oh no cousin Velma… I think they took advantage of you & Faith!!

I’ve been looking for Nikki Donna — truthfully, they’ve been keeping me so busy with angel errands that I haven’t met all the pups I want to meet!
    I can totally understand wanting affection over instruction! Timmy’s feeling the same way :)
    Thanks for sharing your story!

Judy — I’ve been so busy up here that I’ve been slow in returning messages. please excuse me!

I’m smiling thinking about cats in kitty school! I think that’d be a wild scene! It’s crazy enough at puppy class & they’re more apt to want to please their humans than cats would ever be! Although Bella is a rare exception… she’s a very dog-like kitty.

Timmy has a few “modified” assignments. he’s just so wiggly & overly-exuberant that it’s hard for him to listen in class :)

lol Julieanne! it’s always the humans fault, not the puppy’s, when they don’t learn. or so says the trainers… I guess that doesn’t say too much about my mama! lol

what kind of dog is Ginger? I’m picturing a golden retriever

Hi Taz, Lynn & Pipper! sorry for the long delay in response time…heaven’s a long way away sometimes!

Yes, I know how talented you & your sister are. I think mama needs to chat with Lynn — you are such successes and I fear that mama is not the best (or most disciplined) trainer. time and patience (and lots of puppy cookies!) :)

Hi Patty — heaven’s been so busy I haven’t had time to respond. The Big Dog wants me to try and influence certain undoglike GOP candidates and it’s sucking all my extra time! (and is not proving to be successful…yet!)

Your tweets & posts buoy us in heaven — keep it up!

Hi Bill — I’m late in responding… heaven is a busy place!

I didn’t know you taught puppy classes — very cool! Timmy has not expressed interest in becoming a star, so basic stuff is all we’re hoping to accomplish. ~Wags~

Thanks bccmee! hope all is waggy in your world :)

Hi Trish — I’m moving really slowly in getting back to messages. please excuse the heaven-earth time delay!

yes, I think you’re right — Timmy was just getting the lay of the land. he’s very well behaved in class, but many of the other students are excelling and he’s… well… he’s trying his best :)

Hey Dennis — I’m sorry I’m so late in responding! it’s been a busy couple of weeks up here. Thanks for the comment and yes, puppy school is fun and Funny! a room full of little fur ball comedians!

22. You are close, Atticus. Ginger was a Yellow Lab. You can see her picture at the Just Wheat free dog treats. website or some pictures of her on http://facebook.com/justwheatfreedogtreats Ginger was the shorter of the two dogs. Miss Chelsea was Lab Greyhound mix with flying nun ears.

Julieanne Case
    Always from the heart!

Julieanne Case recently posted..Summer Vacation or Future Preview?