Canines’ Canines Don’t Belong in Mama’s Leg!

Mama got another dog bite.  Yes, she once again entered urgent care for treatment of injuries from dogs’ teeth.  Is mama a magnet for canines’ canines?

Thankfully, today’s incident was nothing like our previous dealings with dog bites, which was traumatizing.    This morning, mama took the boys to their favorite dog park (Phoenix Park in Fair Oaks).  They ventured out early because of the rising temperatures and the park was full of some of Timmy E’s best buddies; Molly, Shadow, Sammy, Oscar and Sofie.

Timmy is pure puppy -- no refinement or maturity...

As FOA’s know, my earthly incarnation was from the point of view of a very old soul.  I was born with a refinement, dignity and moral compass that I fear Timmy may never find.  You see Timmy Elijah is a baby, in every sense of the term.  He has a lot to learn about his environment, his behavior and the strength of his own body.

The energy level at the dog park this morning was high and frenzied.  Timmy, being a puppy (and a novice soul) has doggie-ADD — a common affliction of curious pups.  One minute he’s chasing Oscar, then a frisbee flies by and he immediately pivots and chases that.

Wilbur, as always, was well-behaved and enjoyed getting stroked by humans at the park more than interacting with his doggie pals.

In the midst of Timmy’s romping and chasing and wrestling stood mama with her iced coffee from Peet’s (remember, we boycott Starbuck’s).  Sofie, a young and feisty Boston Terrier, was playing with Timmy and became curious about mama’s cup.  She jumped, launching herself at the nearly empty cup, and the contents spilled, scattering ice cubes.

Dogs love ice, especially on a hot day, and the pack scrambled to snag nuggets of frozen goodness.  Well, Sofie and Timmy wanted the same piece of ice and they both became possessive and aggressive.  Mama grabbed Timmy by the loose skin on his back to separate the dogs and, with mama in the middle, both pups lunged at each other.

The result was a jaw (and all those sharp teeth!) grabbing mama’s calf.  And from my vantage point, it was Timmy E’s massive canines that punctured mama.  2 deep holes on either side of her calf, and the wounds match the length and circumference of Timmy’s canines.

Initially, mama didn’t feel anything and then immense pain kicked in.  It took quite awhile before the wounds bled, as they were deep into the muscle.  I so wished I was physically with mama to comfort her, especially when the nurse was irrigating the wounds.  That’s painful business, but mama was a trooper.

at least the bandage is a hip, summer color!

Mama is all bandaged up and will heal in time, adding more dog-related scars to her body.  Our friend Laine thinks it would be cooler if mama said these wounds from a shark attack.  Mama may actually use this as she is mortified that her own puppy created these injuries.

So there it is… how mama was attacked by a shark at the dog park.

Comments

1. Atticus, you definitely have a sense of humor albeit at times a warped one! Glad mama is okay. So maybe mama needs to ask herself why she is attracting all the canine injuries. Then you won’t have to worry about her, Atticus and she can run around scar free in the future!

Julieanne Case
    Always from the heart!

Reconnecting you to your Original Blueprint, Your Essence, Your Joy| Healing you from the Inside Out |Reconnective Healing | The Reconnection| Reconnective Art |

Julieanne Case recently posted..Reconnective Healing: Energy Therapy with Results Part 2

2. velma stahl says:

Well atleast your mama was prepared for any eventuallity when she left the house this morning, manicured toenails and clean shaven legs, and I can bet she was wearing clean underware too!

Yes Julieanne — a sense of humor at all times is imperative!

lol Velma! shaved legs was not part of the equation… once the bandages are off, she needs to get on that!

5. Trish says:

Oh, that sounds painful! Timmy sounds like a rambunctious little guy — although I do like Laine’s creative twist to the story. :-) Atti must be shaking his head at Timmy right now. Rest that leg and take care of yourself.

Trish
    caregiving. family. advocacy.
    Trish recently posted..AB 2039: Expanding the Definition of Family Under CFRA — Immediate Help Needed

You got that right, Trish! Atticus is shaking his head at Timmy’s unrestrained puppiness… we definitely need to work on this food/ice aggression thing…

7. Donna McCord says:

Well, Atti, I guess Timmy needs some instruction and guidance from you! Dog bites sound very painful…thankfully I have never experienced one! I sure hope your Momma is able to rest and heal and that Timmy will behave! I am sure that Wilbur will comfort her on your behalf…by the way, is Bella allowing everyone to get some sleep these days??

8. Jo Ann Harper says:

A shark at the dog park! Ha! I’ll have to remember to keep Gracie close! She’d be but a scooby snack for a shark! Haha!! Glad Mama is healing well! Dog bites are painful! I had an accidental one on my hand from my German Shepherd as a teenager. Feel better! :)

9. My goodness! Sorry to hear about the bite. Our babies sure can be a little over zealous sometimes. Hope you are doing well now. I guess we’ll have to hang out over there soon. Take care. Peace and Love.

10. chrislwagner says:

Wow, didn’t say it went into the muscle!! It sounds like it was a vampire dog that bit you!! Hey, I’m watching season 4 of True Blood and have vampires on the brain! Very well written post.

Hi Donna — yes, Wilbur has been a comfort (while Timmy is clueless!) and, thankfully, Bella has been a better nighttime kitty the past few nights. Let’s hope she keeps that up! wags & hugs to you :)

Thanks Jo Ann! Are you out in California yet?

Renee and Marty — it’s been a long time! we haven’t seen you in ages! Hope all is well with both of you. Marty would love little Timmy (most of the time) — they have similar energy levels (high-speed!). Hope to see you soon

ha! Vampire dog.. I like it, Chris! I’ve never seen True Blood and hear it’s really addictive. Someday, I’ll have to get to that one… Thanks for your comment :)

15. ‘Shark attack at the dog park.’…I like that

16. Hi Guys,

I think the Shark Attack at the Dog Park is way more believable than little puppy Timmy did it!! Tee Hee

Get well soon,

Wags to all,

Your pal Snoopy :)
    snoopy@snoopysdogblog recently posted..Does Your Dog Pull? Great Giveaway – Easy Walk Dog Harness

17. Oh man, Timmy! He’s got way too much puppy energy the little one (but grown up teeth).
    So what’s the lesson? No more iced coffee at the park? No more Timmy off the leash? Hmmmm…. He definitely needs Atti-Wisdom!

Get well soon Heidi!!

Much love,

Franziska
    Franziska San Pedro recently posted..How a Delayed Flight turns into a Real Treat

18. Wow, that’s so unfortunate! I don’t know how I’d react if my own pup bit me to that degree. I hope Heidi will be okay and be more careful. Timmy needs to relax! :)
    Dennis Salvatier recently posted..What Mad Med Taught Me About The Design Biz

19. Claire says:

It sounds like it was a vampire dog that bit you!! Hey, I’m watching season 4 of True Blood and have vampires on the brain! Thanks for pinning.
    Claire recently posted..The Pregnancy Miracle

20. I agree with Julieanne! You do have a sense of humor, I love pets when they start biting, i maintain a distance from them. I have been seeing and watching a lot of pets lately on how not to make them ferocious, and have worked out a plan for them so that they don’t bite.

I hope this will help me in planning my next pet!
    Debra Terrell recently posted..Insurance for pet dog