Cat Fanciers — Mama Needs Your Advice!

Hello from heaven, friends!  You’re all looking good from where I sit.  Mama wants help with a problem — not a puppy problem —  an issue with my feline sister Bella.  Or at least mama thinks it’s an issue.

Bella in Timmy's crate (she thinks she's a dog!)

Bella is the most dog-like cat you could ever meet.  She really has never identified with her kittiness, instead her behaviors are more canine-like.  Bella’s always gotten on splendidly with her dog brothers (me, Wilber and Timmy E.) and like everyone in my family she misses my presence.

I have been visiting Bella more frequently, coming to her in her quiet moments, and she feels my energy completely.  A couple of months ago Bella had a cancer scare.  She had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor between her shoulder blades.  The vet suspects it’s VAC— Vaccine Associated Cancer.  Yes, this is scary.  Humans vaccinate us thinking they’re doing the right thing, but the vaccines sometimes are the catalyst for cancer.

But that’s not what this post is about (although I foresee digging into this topic deeper at some point).  Bella’s recovery was amazing.  She’s always so easy going, loving and happy and even post-surgery she remained herself.  Her downtime was short and her recovery quick.  I had been whispering sweet angel encouragement to her and she found comfort in my presence.

I was giddy observing Bella fully recover, which got me thinking like my old mischievous earthbound self… Now here’s mama “issue”:

Bella has been acting like a maniac, tearing through the house, running on the sink and bouncing off the furniture.  And she usually only does this as everyone else in the house is starting to fall asleep.

Timmy just wants to get some rest

When Bella sees their eyelids closing, she starts her engines and off she goes.  Bella finds the most enjoyment in trampolining off their bodies on the bed down to the floor and then races around.  Then it’s more jumping and silliness.  She is very, very disruptive to mama and the pups’ sleep.

So this is mama’s issue and for what she is seeking advice:  how can she stop Bella from acting wild at night?

Dear readers, you can answer mama if you feel inclined and have had a similar experience.  But I’m going to let you in on a little secret… I’m encouraging Bella to behave this way.  You see, I am with her and I’m trying to get the others to notice that it’s me bouncing around the house.

I know when mama figures it out her irritation over Bella’s wacky nighttime exercise will melt into awe, knowing that her little baby man is always around.

Comments

1. Hi Atti! Mama should post this on OTR. Many cat lovers there and some are expert trainers with veterinary training. Just thinking.
    bill austin howe recently posted..My way of thinking: What I’ve Learned From Dogs

2. Catherine Balck says:

Ha! Atticus, you are still full of mischef! How about encouraging Bella to get her “night crazies” as we call it at my house out earlier in the evening by encouraging some enthusiastic play! My kitties have a wrestling match almost every night between 7 – 9 pm. One will attack the other, they make lots of noise, wrestle around on the floor, and then run through the house a top speed chasing each other.

You are probably wondering how to encourage such play. There are many different toys that encourage some roughhousing on the part of kitties. One of my cats LOVES a LASER pointer, and will jump 3 feet in the air to try to catch it. Another has a strong prey drive and “attacks” a cat-nip filled cigar like he is going to rip the stuffing out. The challenge is to find what interests and excites your cat.

I have lots of different ideas, so if your Mama is interested, have her give me a call and we can chat about it.

3. I rushed to reach this, Atticus, when I saw the headline. As you know, I have cats in my heart and miss my Fretta. I do not, however, miss nighttime mischievousness! Fretta did not race and play at night, but she did often want attention. I confess I was to blame for only reinforcing that behavior, as I would respond!

I think the idea of wearing Bella out in the evening through active play before bed is a good one. Cats have only so much energy in them before they need to rest! Then, if at all possible (and this is where I fail), when Bella does jump and cavort at the wrong time, ignore her as completely and persistently as possible! (much easier said than done)

A better idea might be for you to communicate with Mama more directly and let dear Bella off the hook!

I’m sure you miss your happy household, Atticus. Hope our messages and love still make their way to you.

Personal-Professional Balance Through Writing
    Judy Stone-Goldman recently posted..Remembering What I Teach: Taking My Own Advice About Reflective Writing

4. Lisa N Valero says:

Hi Atti!

Oh dear – you are encouraging the ‘night crazies’ that cat owners know about!!! Tsk, tsk!
    Of course, they’re always at bedtime – in my house they are frequently right after falling asleep – which of course means we’re awakened by it!!!! I think Bella is just getting in touch with her feline self . I also agree that some active playtime earlier in the evening should help.
    You know Atti? You don’t need Bella to bounce around for your loved family to know you are there – they feel your love every moment!!! ♥♥♥
    Hugs & kisses!

5. Donna McCord says:

Atti you are indeed mischievous! My kitty at home starts tearing around in the morning after breakfast, which is fine except when I am trying to get ready for work! Her favorite toy is the plastic ring from around the top of a milk bottle…I throw it up in the air for her and she attacks it, picks it up, bats it around the floor and then usually under the closet door where I have to go fetch and throw again! Bella, besides being influenced by you, Atti, must be feeling her wheaties and previous suggestions to try to wear her out earlier in the day are good ones! The only problem with kitties, however, is that they do things when they feel like it, which is not necessarily when we want them to! I agree with Lisa that your presence is not forgotten in the household and never will be! I hope that you will maybe influence Bella to allow everyone a good night’s sleep!

6. Lisa Maslack says:

Maybe Bella needs a new kitty to wear her butt out ;) That way she can have a buddy to run with at night without disturbing Mama and the boys! Having 2 cats myself, I hear them running around at night but at least it is chasing each other (and sometimes the unfortunate mouse that is on my bathroom rug when I awake). When my sweet cat gets tired, she crawls back into bed with me. I can only imagine the mischievous games you get Bella to play with you but how about doing them during the day silly boy! Love and kisses to you sweet soul Atti :)

7. Now I understand why so many loved to read you Atticus. What a delight you are. I was smiling and chuckling!. And seriously, why are letting Bella take the rap for you? Pounce on mama yourself. I know she’d prefer it! I would prefer Ginger pouncing on me! Have you met my Lady Ginger and Miss Chelsea yet. Ginger loves to play and has always loved to meet new canines and humans! Hook up with her!

Julieanne Case
    Always from the heart!

Reconnecting you to your Original Blueprint, Your Essence, Your Joy| Healing you from the Inside Out |Reconnective Healing | The Reconnection| Reconnective Art |

Julieanne Case recently posted..Reconnective Healing: Energy Therapy with Results Part 2

Thank you for your comment Julieanne! Yes, I’ve met up with Ginger & Chelsea — happy here with me. I’m always with mama, but sometimes I need to use others for her to really “feel” me. Bella is filling that need :)

ha! Lisa, I don’t think we have room (right now!) for another kitty. I’ve heard about your kitty’s mousing at night… not always fun to wake up to guts! but that’s cats :)

Donna, you are so right! Kitties have their own agenda and don’t want to be trained. Bella will do her own thing (sometimes inspired by me) and there’s nothing mama can do except smile :)

Thanks Lisa V! What’s up with the regular “night crazies” that cats do, even without furry angel encouragement? We try to keep Bella active during the day, but she’s on her on schedule… just like every cat we’ve ever met!

Judy, please excuse the delay in response. I Knew you’d have something to say on this subject! I know I need to get more creative with how I commune with mama (the communication thru Kelly Ripa was a good one!) and let Bella off the hook, as you said. I do miss my family and want to be in the mix, day and night.
    ps: Fretta has found all the boxes in heaven and she’s contentedly curled up in one in a ray of light every day :)

Thanks Catherine! Bella does enjoy the laser pointer… I’ll have mama get that out and try playing with it before bedtime. good advice — thanks!

14. Trish says:

Is Atticus still making Bella crazy at night? Maybe after her cancer scare, Bella just realized how short life is and is running around celebrating her feline spirit! I’m afraid I have the same issue as Judy — I tend to encourage my cats’ naughtiness and so it never ends. :-)

Playing with her to wear her out is a great suggestion. Let us know how she’s doing and if the “night crazies” have worn off.

Hugs to your household of animals and a special one for Atti, too.

Trish
    caregiving. family. advocacy.
    Trish recently posted..AB 2039: Expanding the Definition of Family Under CFRA — Immediate Help Needed

I think you may be right Trish. Bella’s appreciating life and health more than ever and doesn’t pay attention to the clock! We miss you Trish — I know we’ve both been busy, but we really do have to set up a date soon.